chrisblocker

Jennifer Brown
The Family Under the Bridge
Natalie Savage Carlson

5 Books I Have Taken Too Long to Enjoy

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov The Counterfeiters - André Gide Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré The Color Purple - Alice Walker

For whatever reason, I have dragged my feet on these books. Some have been on my to-read shelf for years. They've come highly recommended. I just can't seem to make it happen.

1. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Every once in a while, I pick up this book and prepare to read it, but before I start, it is back on my shelf for another year or two. Part of me thinks I may not like this novel about paedophelia, but that's not a reason to not give it a go. Next time I pull it from the shelf, I'm going to get through it.

2. The Counterfeiters - André Gide

While conducting research for grad school on Steinbeck's East of Eden, I learned that this book was instrumental in influencing Steinbeck. Immediately, I knew I had to read this metafictional novel. Five years have passed and I'm still telling myself I need to read this story.

3. Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This one has been on my radar since it was first released in 2006. Why haven't I read it yet? No idea. It hasn't even helped that the author has put out several subsequent books that I want to read, but insist on reading after this one. This will be the year...

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling

Prior to 2012, this massively popular book would've appeared on my "no intention of reading" list. I tend to shy away from what the masses are doing. Then I read The Casual Vacancy and fell in love with Rowling's style and storytelling abilities. I've since said I need to read the Harry Potter series, but that rebellious side of me is still resisting.

5. The Color Purple - Alice Walker

A classic that I'm sure I'll enjoy. Part of my reluctance likely has to do with knowing this book may not live up to the many wonderful reviews I've read. A good reason to ignore it for years? Probably not.

What books have you put off for too long? Which of these have you read? Would you recommend them?