chrisblocker

Margaret Lazarus Dean
The Family Under the Bridge
Natalie Savage Carlson

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel - Rachel Joyce The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry is a quiet and moving novel that borders on being overly sentimental. At times it may toe the line, but I personally did not find it gimmicky or sloppy. It does require a reader to be open minded (hearted?) about matters of the heart and to accept the fact that the elderly are people too. If this kind of novel appeals to you, you're more like to remember the feelings that accompanied the story than the story itself. The story is slow at times, and while the characters are somewhat memorable, they're not particularly remarkable. That being said, I enjoyed the novel for what it was. It was lovely and affecting. I found the death scene (of whom I will not tell) to be very well rendered. I will not be surprised to see ...Harold Fry turned into a film; Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn come immediately to mind, but only because of the wonderful movie Lovely, Still which, at times, this novel reminded me of.